The City by City initiative is a campaign developed by the Georgia CARE Project in collaboration with other advocacy groups like Peachtree NORML and Students for Sensible Drug Policy (SSDP).
It represents an organized grassroots effort to advance legislative reform on a city level in the state of Georgia.
You can read our press release here.
The Goals of this Campaign:
- Harm Reduction. By changing local laws we can minimize the harm inflicted on Georgians by misdemeanor cannabis possession charges and prevent their entry into the criminal justice system. Research shows drug laws disproportionately impact communities of color.
- Pressure the State Legislature. Georgia CARE Project’s ultimate goal is to see state law change to accomplish the full decriminalization of cannabis. By taking criminal justice reform to the city level, outside of the state’s control, the legislature will be forced to give the issue proper consideration.
- Further Change Public Opinion. While the majority of Georgians are ready to see the decriminalization of cannabis, many remain lethargic about changing the status quo. By pushing forward local changes, they will realize that change is possible and stand up to show their support.
How Can You Help?
We are looking for local activists like you across Georgia, willing to help lead this effort in your city. Georgia CARE and other organizations and activists are ready to guide you, coach you, and support you with research, legal support, and in-person training and appearances.
Sign up and we’ll reach out to you to begin the process:
Support Our Work
We need your help to fund our efforts in Georgia. When you give to Georgia CARE, we use it for three things:
- Lobbying. We lobby Georgia legislators to advance legislative change and criminal justice reform.
- Outreach. We reach out to Georgians so they understand how we can make this happen together.
- Administrative Costs. Lastly, we have to keep the proverbial lights on, but this is our smallest need.
Make a difference and give now:
City by City
We’ll change it together.
Check out our 40 Days campaign too!
We’re raising funds to be present and lobbying for Georgia cannabis law reform all forty days of the General Assembly session in 2017. The session begins January 9th.